Our nutrition experts know all about the struggle of the summer body. That’s why they’ve prepared dinner ideas for you to cook – of course, they can also be used as a lunch or as a breakfast. We know it can be challenging to eat warm food while the temperatures are this high, so they’ve prepared cold dinner ideas!
Let’s check them out!
In this article
The first dish on our summer meal planner is SALTY PANCAKES! Yes, we know what you’re thinking. Pancakes, salty?! But trust us when we say this: these are even better than the sugary ones!
For this recipe, you will need:
1. Whisk together the flour, eggs, baking powder and milk. Start whisking from the centre, gradually drawing the flour into the eggs until you have a smooth batter.
2. Heat the pan over moderate heat and pour the batter onto it. Wait for the bubbles to break and then flip them! Cook until both sides are golden brown.
3. Scramble the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Stir and bake the eggs in a greased pan.
4. Cover 1/3 of the pancake with cheese spread, and cover it with slices of grilled chicken breast, washed young spinach and scrambled eggs.
5. Wrap the pancake in a roll and serve!
You can serve this meal hot or cold – whichever you prefer!
Our nutrition experts also prepared easy meal variations based on the results of your DNA test. If you got the results of your DNA test already on your platform, you can easily incorporate the recommendations into your menu, based on your unique genetic makeup! By knowing what your body really needs, you can make a real change for your health and general wellbeing.
This meal is not only healthy and easy to make, but it’s also filled with B12! B12 is crucial for the functioning of your entire nervous system, is involved in the synthesis of DNA, formation of mature red blood cells, and fatty acids. In short: it’s really important! Learn more about it and especially, where to find it in this article.
Adjust this meal to your genes
Did your DNA test show you’re more likely to be gluten intolerant? Then, switch the spelt flour for a gluten-free one! This can be anything from almond to buckwheat one.
On a low carb diet? Do the flour switch again, but this time replace the spelt one for coconut flour.
Lactose intolerant? Prepare your pancakes with almond or oat milk, and replace the cheese spread with coconut yoghurt.
Are you trying to eat low fat? Make the pancakes with almond milk instead, and replace the cheese spread with mixed avocado. Then, change the sliced chicken breast for a smoked salmon.
Vegetarian? Switch the chicken for crushed tofu with turmeric.
Not only is this recipe delicious, but it’s also extraordinarily healthy!
The same goes for the second one we have for you: a big Buddha bowl!
Big Buddha bowl
The legend says that this term was created when Buddha roamed around and collected food given to him by people he met on his travels in his giant bowl.
You can do the same!
For this bowl, you can mix whichever ingredients you have in your fridge, as long as they taste good and make you feel even better! In general, the Buddha bowl is a one-dish meal that’s made by piling a healthy combination of whole grains, vegetables, legumes, and a luscious sauce in a large, single-serving bowl. You can adjust the ratios of ingredients however you want, or according to your hunger level! For example – if you’re really hungry, add more chickpeas and couscous.
For our Buddha bowl, we’ve decided to mix:
1. Prepare the couscous according to the instructions on the packaging.
2. Cut the chicken fillet into smaller pieces and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Fry in a greased and preheated pan until golden brown.
3. In the meantime, prepare the chickpeas, wash the young spinach, and cut the cucumber and red peppers into small cubes.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the Greek yoghurt with salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and marjoram.
5. Take your big bowl and add the prepared couscous to young spinach. Add sliced cucumber, paprika, chickpeas, pieces of roasted chicken, and 1-2 tablespoons of yoghurt topping.
And you’re done!
Adjust this meal to your genes
Did your DNA test show you’re more likely to be gluten intolerant? Swap couscous for quinoa!
On a low carb diet? Again, swap couscous, but this time for cauliflower rice.
Are you trying to eat low fat? Replace yoghurt with hummus or crushed avocado.
Vegetarian? Switch the chicken for seitan!
Not a fan of pancakes or meals eaten from a bowl? Don’t worry! We have one more light meal in store for you. This is a fancier one among the cold dinner ideas! Prepare for …
Salmon with tahini sauce and sesame
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
2. Chop the cauliflower into larger pieces. Coat your baking pan with one tablespoon of coconut oil and place in the oven for 1 minute to melt.
3. Wash the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half. Next, chop the sweet potatoes into larger pieces.
4. Season the cauliflower with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked pepper. Place the salmon fillet on a baking pan coat it with sliced vegetables. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, mix a tablespoon of peanut butter, half a tablespoon of tahini paste, and half a lemon juice in a cup. While mixing, add a little milk to it – it will give the topping the consistency you’re looking for.
6. Serve the salmon and roasted vegetables on a bed of fresh rockets. Pour the prepared tahini dressing over it. To top it all off, sprinkle the dish with sesame seeds!
Adjust this meal to your genes
On a low carb diet? Swap sweet potatoes for kohlrabi or edible pumpkin.
Are you trying to eat low fat? Prepare the dressing with almond milk!
Vegetarian? Switch the salmon for tempeh.
If you got stuck at adjusting this meal to your genes, check out our DNA tests. By listening to your body and your DNA, you can start changing your routines and follow the path towards a healthier life and improved wellbeing!
You can now stop the search for healthy and light summer meal ideas.
These will surely keep you hydrated and healthy – besides that, you can easily prepare them as cold dinners!
No need to worry about overheating your body with soup or hot pasta anymore. You only need a few ingredients to make this, and it will leave you full of vitamins and nutrients your summer body needs as well.
Invite your friends and family and enjoy the hot summer sun over these delicious cold meals together!